Keto diets have become popular in recent times due to the numerous benefits they have. Not only are keto items easy to prepare, and comprise of the most healthy ingredients, they are also quite delicious, of prepared in the right way. A ketogenic diet is also known to have various uses in medicine. A ketogenic diet has a high amount of fat, a low amount of carbohydrates, and a balanced amount of proteins.
It is known for helping the body burn fats instead of carbohydrates and also helps to produce energy. One of the most well-known and popular keto recipes is keto stuffed peppers. Not only are they delicious, but also easy to make, with easily available ingredients, and can be prepared in a short time, and of course, most importantly, they are very healthy.
Why is a ketogenic diet, such as keto stuffed bell peppers so highly rated?
A ketogenic diet is highly beneficial in many different ways. In addition to helping energize the body, and helping to burn fats, it also helps with epilepsy in children and is thus, prescribed medically. It also helps to boost brain function and less scientifically, a ketogenic diet is also easy to prepare and can be quickly prepared.
A well-prepared keto diet such as keto stuffed peppers is also quite delicious, and can even be a hit with those that are quite picky with food. Keto diets are also being studied in case of their actions on neurological diseases.
Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers: The perfect combination
Well, what can be better than a recipe where highly nutritious bell peppers meet a healthy ketogenic diet?
The benefits of a ketogenic diet have been mentioned earlier. Bell peppers, on the other hand, are quite healthy and nutritious as well. Bell peppers that have been hollowed are perfect to stuff with a delicious, and healthy filling, such as here, a perfect combination of meat and healthy vegetables. The different colors of bell peppers also serve as various phytonutrients. Bell peppers are also scientifically proven to contain more Vitamin C than oranges and to put that in numbers so that it is easier to understand: 100 grams of green bell pepper contains 95.6 milligrams of Vitamin C, which is almost double as that of oranges.
And to leave oranges even further behind on statistics, yellow and red bell peppers contain even more Vitamin C: 341 milligrams and 209 milligrams, respectively. And, Vitamin C is not the only nutrient that they contain. Bell peppers also contain quite a large amount of Vitamin A, albeit in different proportions in different colors. Other than the popularly known yellow, red and green, there are also other varieties of bell peppers such as lavender, white, brown, and dark purple, which are available at different times of the year.
The right way to make keto stuffed bell peppers
Now, making stuffed keto peppers is quite easy, but you need to be careful with the technique. First things first, we shall take a look at the list of ingredients that are required to make keto stuffed bell peppers.
- Bell peppers: red, green, or yellow.
- Ground meat: Preferably ground beef.
- Olive oil.
- Cheese: You can leave the cheese out if you are lactose intolerant or are looking to avoid dairy products.
- Cauliflower rice.
- Italian seasonings.
- Chopped mushroom.
Time required :
The average time is taken for the entire thing to be ready is 80 minutes.
The steps to making :
- The microwave oven is preheated to 400° F.
- While the oven is being preheated, the bell peppers can be hollowed out by cutting the tops off and scooping out the seeds with a spoon. The tops can later be used in salad.
- When the oven has been heated, the bell pepper shells can be cooked, that is, be heated, at a suitable temperature. This process should take around 15 to 20 minutes.
- While the bell peppers are being cooked, the filling can be prepared. The filling or stuffing can be prepared by adding some oil to a skillet and browning the onions. The onions are then set aside.
- Next, the ground beef is added to the skillet and browned all the way through. A 90/10 ground beef is preferred.
- The cooked beef and cooked onions are now added to a large bowl. A third of a cup of tomato sauce is used for topping the bell peppers and the rest is used to mix the stuffing along with the other ingredients.
- The stuffing is mixed together well.
- Now, the stuffing is divided into each bell pepper, and the keto stuffed bell peppers are baked for about 35 minutes or even more, depending on your choice, at 350° F, until they become soft enough.
- Now, the prepared bell peppers are topped with cheese. Mozzarella cheese goes really well with keto stuffed bell peppers. The topped bell peppers are baked again until the cheese becomes melty. Your keto bell peppers are now ready to be served.
A very common question asked is whether you should drain the beef or not. It is preferred not to as that actually drains the flavor. If you are worried about the fat content of the beef, then it is preferred that you use lean ground beef instead of normal beef.
Therefore, these are the steps to make the highly nutritious but also delicious keto stuffed bell peppers, which are also quite easy to make and take only about an hour or so. You can also change the ingredients up a bit, and add or get rid of things that you like or dislike. It is a dish that allows you to make a lot of modifications without taking away the real taste of the dish. Keto bell peppers are something that you can prepare for your kids or your family to enjoy and also make it when your friends come over and want something natural and healthy instead of the same old snacks or fried foods.