Along with a sparkling pool, a well-cleaned and decorative pool deck can be a highlight of your backyard.
It is an inviting area that offers functional space for sunbath, pool parties, get-togethers, barbecuing, and allows you to enjoy outdoors.
However, an uncared deck can look dirty and develop cracks and stains over a period of time.
Here in, we are sharing the basic steps to make your pool deck look new:
1. Prepare the area for cleaning
Before you start your deck cleaning process, it’s recommended to prepare the surrounding area.
Some of the tips to follow are:
- Remove all your patio furniture and potted plants from the deck
- Install electric pool cover or pool enclosure over your pool to protect it from getting dirty
- Cover any landscape plants with plastic sheets
- Remove all of the water toys and pool floaties around the deck
- Get rid of all dead leaves and other debris on the deck
2. Make a cleaning solution
Once your deck area is ready, prepare the cleaning solution to remove grime and dirt.
Some home-made deck cleaning solutions are:
- Mix household bleach and dish soap in a bucket full of water.
- Add 1.5 cups of Trisodium phosphate and 1 cup bleach to every two gallons of warm water.
- Mix together 1 gallon of water, 1 quart of bleach, and 2 tablespoons of Murphy’s oil soap.
Wear hand gloves or use the brush to mix the ingredients together.
3. Start scrubbing
Apply a cleaning solution all over the pool deck and allow it to rest for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, scrub it thoroughly with a brush or fiber-based mop to remove all residue.
Pay special attention to grout lines and expansion joints where dirt, stains, mildew, or grime are more likely to grow.
Make sure to wear protective gear to avoid contact with skin and eyes.
4. Rinse it down
Once you are done with scrubbing, follow these deck washing steps:
- Use a pressure washer or garden hose to rinse off the chemicals and dirt thoroughly
- Allow the deck to dry completely
- Once it’s dry, sand the deck surface to remove any leftover residue
- Finally, use a leaf blower or broom to sweep up any dust particles
5. Apply a sealant
After washing your deck, let it dry for some time, and apply a fresh coat of a sealer to lock the pores and harden the deck material.
Benefits of using sealant are:
- Stain-resistant surface
- Prevents mildew growth
- Avoid cracks on the deck
- Makes your deck look attractive
- Keeps sand, grit, and other grime out of the pits and pores of the deck
In the end…
Decks are vulnerable to heat, water and snow.
So, it’s important to follow the above steps to make your pool deck survive longer, avoid wear and tear, and ensure a safe surface for foot traffic.