Online marketing strategist David Meerman Scott described digital marketing as ‘a two-way street, not a one-way interruption’. Effective online marketing provides useful content at the perfect time when a buyer needs it the most.
If you plan to dive right into digital marketing, then get ready to digest new techniques and information. You must be prepared to tackle big data and use it to design creative campaigns and strategies. Digital marketing is more than just viewing consumers in terms of the data they generate; it also requires a deep understanding of what people need and when they need it.
Traditional Marketing vs Digital Marketing
A central part of digital marketing involves using multiple online platforms to connect with consumers. The most used mediums are social media platforms, videos, search engines, websites, and applications. Digital marketing also applies to mobile app marketing.
Meanwhile, traditional marketing is anything that does not involve digital methods. Traditional methods include newspaper ads, television or radio commercials, pamphlets, brochures, billboards, and signage.
Digital marketing often merges with traditional marketing to reach more consumers. An example of this is when a company’s social media page, such as their Facebook page or Instagram site, is included in a company flier, billboard, or newspaper ad. Going in the other direction, traditional marketing platforms like newspapers, brochures, flyers, and other publications may be digitized and made available online.
As Digital Authority Partners mentions in this guide, traditional digital marketing is more expensive and won’t guarantee results. Digital marketing is cost-effective, easy to use, and works with almost all industries. Expect better results with digital marketing.
3 Digital Marketing Tips for New Marketers
Three important factors should be considered when creating a digital marketing strategy: the role of A.I., using marketing apps and tools and using content marketing strategies. Let’s find out how these techniques help digital marketers.
Artificial Intelligence is integrated into many business processes, even in business marketing. This technology automates tasks such as computing solutions and makes things more efficient. A.I. works in the background by making websites more personalized, predicting customer behavior, and developing related content. Digital marketers increasingly implementing A.I..
A.I. also works for the customer because it can help improve customer-site interaction. It improves customer experience which increases brand strength and boosts sales. Around 75% of companies that use A.I. and machine learning reveal that it improves customer satisfaction by 10%.
Customers may want to ask questions about your business, inquire about their orders or your services. It’s impossible to answer right away, but with a chatbot, customers can get quick answers. Chatbots also help gather data about customer behavior and needs to be based on the answers customers provide.
These bots group customers and move them through the sales funnel depending on how they interact with your site. With a chatbot, targeted messages may be sent to customers right away to secure a sale. It’s a win for you and a win for your customers because they get fast answers to their questions.
Creating Predictive and Targeted Content
A.I. gathers data about your customers and prospects. It uses this data to determine future behavior to create targeted emails or messages. A.I. can deliver the correct email at the correct time through dynamic content which is based on past customer behaviors.
A.I. monitors customers’ activity. It knows which page or pages they visited, the blog post they checked out, or the email they read. This technology also predicts when a customer is disengaging and delivers the right content to prevent this from happening.
A.I. is also capable of image recognition which helps personalize the customer’s engagement. Many businesses are taking advantage of A.I. image recognition features to help their customers shop for items from their huge inventory. The customer will simply upload a photo of the item and the A.I. finds it from the catalog. Meanwhile, social media sites like Facebook are also using A.I.’s image recognition features. Google Lens tells users to take a photo of anything they want to know more about; answers are provided almost immediately. This is another way A.I. helps consumers.
Apps and Self-Help Tools
You can avail yourself of an army of self-help tools and applications to create effective digital marketing campaigns. With these tools, you can breeze through digital marketing and spend more time with other tasks. We’ve classified digital marketing tools according to use:
Social Media Marketing
Social media sites are where most digital marketing strategies are deployed. It is here that marketers nurture leads, develop business relationships, and connect with customers. Social media sites like Facebook and Instagram also help you gather data to improve your marketing campaigns.
Oftentimes, businesses have several social media sites plus a company website and blog site. A marketer needs software that will seamlessly manage all social media sites. Here are some of the top social media tools that digital marketers live by:
- Sprout Social – This is one of the most popular social media control apps. With it, you’ll have all your social media platforms on one page for easy content organization and updates. Sprout Social allows you to publish content in a timely manner or when your visitors and followers are active and ready.
Sprout lets you monitor all social messages so it’s easier to respond ASAP. It’s easier to optimize your site’s content thanks to Sprout’s social listening capabilities. You can find trending hashtags, posts, and many other opportunities to help you better engage with your customers.
- Loomly – Organizing and collaborating with your social media team has never been so easy with Loomly. This social media app lets you create calendars, charts, workflows, and deadlines. It will help you find fresh topics so you can create new content on social media. Loomly has a clean, seamless interface that’s very easy to use, even for people who are not confident with social media technology.
- Audiense – Social listening is one of the top features of a social media app called Audiense. This tool lets you identify and group your social media audience so it’s easier to design campaigns and create user personas. Audiense dives right into most social media, especially Twitter, to locate trending topics that your target audience will surely appreciate.
Digital marketers use email as a primary way to engage with customers. It is a tried and tested marketing platform that’s adaptable according to your industry, target market, and your marketing campaign.
Several email marketing tools can put your email marketing campaigns into autopilot. Here are the top three:
- Iemlist – This unique email marketing tool is mainly focused on content delivery, specifically emphasizing the right time to post content, send messages, etc. There is no need to guess the best time to push your marketing content with this email app.
Additional features of Iemlist you might find interesting are personalization tools and email sequences. These will help you encourage positive replies from your prospects.
- SendGrid – Enjoy complete email services when you use SendGrid. Whether you’re new to digital marketing or a pro, SendGrid makes it easier to produce quality email marketing content. SendGrid is flexible with drag-and-drop features, coding, visuals, and much more. The app has built-in analytics so it’s easier to evaluate your marketing campaigns.
- Moosend – This email marketing app is simple, user-friendly, and very affordable. It is a good tool for someone who is new to email marketing. Moosend offers codeless email campaigns, easy reporting, and simple automation. You can also use this app to create landing pages, mobile popups, and handy features like countdown times to reel in your visitors.
Search Engine Optimization
BrightEdge research reveals that more than half of all site traffic is from search engine inquiries. Having a dedicated SEO tool can help you stay ahead of your competition. The following tools will help you breeze through SEO marketing like a pro:
- SEMrush – One of the simplest SEO tools that will help you monitor your priority keywords. SEMrush will help you rank higher than your competitors by breaking down keywords in varying levels of difficulty and variations. You can use this tool to create valuable content ideas and focus on search intent.
- Clearscope – Zero in on different keyword opportunities to create optimized content with Clearscope. This SEO app is the best choice for content writers because of its built-in content editor. This feature recommends keywords, readability scores, and headers so you can create high quality, content-rich posts.
- Ahrefs – If you find it hard to create keyword ideas then Ahrefs is for you. This SEO app checks high-ranking organic keywords while estimating your competitors’ traffic for a search term or word. With Ahrefs, you can also learn a website’s best content and where to get good backlinks.
Digital marketers use Ahrefs as a tool for competitive analysis and ensure that your content will give you the best results in search.
Digital marketers are always looking for ways to convert visitors to buying customers. Sometimes, it’s the smallest things that count. These conversion optimization tools can help you with these small yet powerful elements that can improve your conversion rates.
- Unbounce – An awesome digital marketing tool for creating and publishing landing pages is Unbounce. This app comes with A/B testing as well as variant analytics to help you diagnose call-to-action, visuals, and other page elements. This app is meant for beginners and those that don’t have any website design background. You can use its landing page templates and develop them according to your website design. Unbounce will also tell you which landing page components are performing well and those that need tweaking.
- Optimizely – Use Optimizely’s tools to create stunning visuals to easily target your audience. It lets you analyze your landing page performance and check for any major or minor concerns. Optimizely can help you enhance your site depending on your marketing campaign without the need to study difficult codes.
- Hotjar – If you want to study your site visitors’ behaviors then you must use Hotjar. This app uses heatmaps to give you clues about what a visitor is doing. You can also use a synched video recording of your visitor’s behavior and correct any problems right away.
Mostly used for business-to-business (B2B) marketing, lead enrichment tools can help you understand your leads and contact them after they have shown interest in your brand. You will quickly have a better view of your site traffic to make needed adjustments.
- Clearbit – Develop an updated profile of all your leads to create smooth and seamless campaigns using Clearbit. This app helps gather the information that’s relevant to your marketing campaigns including the lead’s company, his role in the company, and the size of his company. Clearbit automatically updates every month to make sure that all your data is timely and fresh. Having fresh data helps you more confidently and successfully prospect for leads .
- Datanyze – With Datanyze, you can look for important contact information regarding your leads. This app works best if you prospect uses LinkedIn and other social media platforms.
Landing Page and Lead Capture
Landing pages help pull in visitors after they have landed on your site. These pages make sure your traffic won’t go to waste and encourage your visitors to check out what you have to offer. Use the following landing page and lead capture tools to improve your leads in no time.
- OptiMonk – Prevent your visitors from leaving your site by using personalized messages or popups from OptiMonk. This app focuses on lead capturing and creating exit-intent messages that won’t affect the overall behavior of your site. With OptiMonk, you can segment marketing messages and send these when the time is right. This platform helps you formulate campaigns that will appeal to all your customers.
- Typeform – Another tool to develop creative landing pages is Typeform. This app has stylish intake forms that won’t look and feel like regular ads. It’s simple to use and can also help you create quizzes and other types of interactive online forms.
- MailMunch – This landing page tool is dedicated to building lists. You will get interesting forms and unique emails to send to your newly-opted leads. With MailMunch, you can group your audience according to factors such as demographics and buying behavior. You can use different templates and enjoy its straightforward app design.
Graphic creation software will spice up your site. These tools will help you create unique, entertaining, informative, and creative visuals that will reel in more visitors. Here are the top ones to keep in your arsenal.
- Canva – With Canva, you can make photos with captions, infographics, social media posts, and other creative visuals in just a few minutes. Canva is free to use but with a paid subscription, you can unlock more features, visual components, and designs.
- Visme – This app is used to develop presentations and visualize data. Visme is best for publishing research across social media platforms like LinkedIn and Twitter. You can pull data coming from external spreadsheets to develop different kinds of presentations in just a few clicks with this app.
- Creatopy – Similar to Canva, Creatopy lets you create all kinds of creative content but has features that are mostly directed to marketers. Creatopy has brand kits and set designs so you can work with other marketers and organize your brand’s visuals. This app is best for creative agencies and teams working for different clients or various social media accounts.
- Venngage – To make cool infographics, use Venngage. This app uses spreadsheet data and charts to customize your campaign’s infographics according to your brand, products, or services. You can choose from a large library of infographics available.
Content marketing is known to produce success through digital marketing. It is one of the most effective ways to grow your audience, develop your online presence, and drive more sales. Today, customers are looking for more than just stock phrases strung together. They want high-quality, updated, and consistent content from the businesses and brands they trust.
State of Marketing reveals that content creation is the highest priority among 80% of marketers. Content marketing is 26% of the overall marketing budget of B2B companies.
Content marketing affects your audience’s decision-making more than any other kind of marketing platform. Your content must be unique, identifiable, and consistent at all customer touchpoints. Consider the following strategies for successful content marketing.
- Build content teams and communities to enhance content creation and sharing.
- Consider AI-created content. AI is becoming more available and could remain a trend for years to come.
- Enhance customer content experience. Avoid too many pop-ups, ad panels, and other site components that will affect your visitor’s content experience.
- Focus on enhancing SEO. Create content that is engaging, powerful, and updated for your customers.
- Put more focus on your products and services. At the bottom of the funnel, emphasize site content regarding your core offers.
- Repurpose your online content. Create engaging online content using fewer references.
- Use videos and webinars. These are quick and very effective for communicating your brand’s message.
Digital marketing cannot be learned and effectively employed in a day. But with these techniques, you can create high-quality marketing campaigns like a pro. Understand and follow current trends such as AI and machine learning. Take advantage of the latest digital marketing apps and tools to make your work easier. Finally, learn how to build the best content to engage your visitors and turn them into buying customers. With these tactics, you are several steps closer to digital marketing success.